Race After Technology Part 4 + Coded Bias
Race After Tech Reading
Read Chapter 3 of Race After Technology. Because the first part of the chapter is primarily about visuals, I've provided links to videos and pictures mentioned in the text. Please take a look at the following links (they should be chronological with how they appear in the text).
- Pretty.Period tumblr
- Examples of Shirley Cards (before multiracial cards were introduced)
- HP Computers are Racist (Youtube, 2:15)
Next, watch the movie Coded Bias
In your reflection, consider the following questions:
- What issues of exposure are present in Coded Bias?
- Coded Bias suggests an alternative "fix": legislative action. Here is a bit of info on a recent Vermont State Law on facial recognition.
- What do you feel is the role of government to regulate technology?
- Have your feelings on government regulation changed because of some of the issues we've discussed?
- In Coded Bias, we saw a man fined for not showing his face to facial recognition cameras. How did that make you feel?
- How do you personally make decisions about privacy vs. convenience?
- Do you use facial recognition, fingerprint id on any of your devices?
- Living in China seems pretty convenient! How would you feel about using your face in place of cash?
- How much control do you feel you have over your image?
- Dr. Benjamin packs a lot of different issues into Chapter 3. Which would you like to discuss further? Why?