Race After Technology Part 3
Race After Tech Reading
Please read Chapters 4 and 5 of Race After Technology. Keep in mind Dr. Benjamin's many warning about quick (and not so quick) fixes as you brainstorm ideas for your app.
Here are some questions for reflection and discussion:
- What surprised you in the reading? What was the most important thing you learned? What interested you, or felt particularly important?
- Dr. Benjamin is a fan of the app Appolition. Why does she like the app, as opposed to many of the other technologies and apps discussed in the book?
- What do you think of Dr. Benjamin's critique of technology that promotes empathy? For some additional context, please read The Problem with Disability Simulations (Links to an external site.). What are benefits of using technology to promote empathy, and what are the risks?
- Why is Dr. Benjamin against design as a fix?
- What is the value in speculative apps?