CS 200 - Spring 2017
Mathematical Foundations of Computing
- Peer tutoring
- Thursdays 6-8pm, Sundays+Mondays 7-9pm
in the MBH 6th floor east lounge.
- Midterm Exam
The midterm exam will be a 75-minute paper-and-pencil exam, with no
computers or devices allowed. The exam will cover all material
up through and including Tuesday March 21. You are encouraged
to prepare a single sheet of study notes (double-sided,
8.5"x11") that you may use during the exam.
you qualify for extra time, make arrangements with me
ahead of time.
encouraged to work through the Sample Midterm
and consult the provided partial sample
Professor Briggs will have office hours this week
Monday 3/20 11am-2pm,
Tuesday 3/21 12:30-2pm,
and Wednesday 3/22 12:30-2pm.
- Homework 1, due Tuesday, 2/21.
- Homework 2, due Tuesday, 2/28.
- Homework 3, due Tuesday, 3/7.
- Homework 4, due Tuesday, 3/14.
- Homework 5, due Tuesday, 3/21.
- Midterm exam, Thursday 3/23 in class.
Practice problems (not due).
- Homework 7, due Tuesday, 4/11.
- Homework 8, due Tuesday, 4/18.
- Homework 9, due Tuesday, 4/25.
- Homework 10, due Tuesday, 5/2.
- Homework 11, due Tuesday, 5/9.
- Final exam,
Lectures & Readings
- Tues 2/14 - Course introduction, Sets.
- Thurs 2/16 - Propositional logic.
- Tues 2/21 - Predicate logic.
- Thurs 2/23 -
[Proof Chaps 4-9.]
- Tues 2/28 - Growth of functions.
- Thurs 3/2 - Complexity of algorithms.
- Tues 3/7 - Proof by Induction.
- Thurs 3/9 - More proof by induction.
[Proof Chap 10.]
- Tues 3/14 - Number Theory.
- Thurs 3/16 - Cryptography.
- Tues 3/21 - Review.
(use submit script twice).
- Thurs 3/23 - Midterm in class.
- Tues 4/4 - Counting.
- Thurs 4/6 - Permutations and combinations.
- Tues 4/11 - Probability.
- Thurs 4/13 - Recurrence relations.
- Tues 4/18 - Relations, Equivalence Relations.
- Thurs 4/20 - Graphs.
- Tues 4/25 - Graphs algorithms, P vs NP.
- Thurs 4/27 - Trees, Spanning Trees.
- Tues 5/2 - Finite state machines.
- Thurs 5/4 - Context-Free Grammars.
- Tues 5/9 - Turing machines and computability.
Notes on complexity.
- Thurs 5/11 - Course wrap-up.
Final exam will be